PGY1 Community Pharmacy Residency – Aurora Health Care Metro, Inc. Milwaukee, WI
Residents completing the Aurora Health Care PGY1 Community Pharmacy Residency will be change-agents and skilled patient care providers in community pharmacy settings. Graduates will:
- Optimize patient care outcomes and provide medication therapy management services to a diverse population
- Develop and implement sustainable clinical services to meet patients' and other health care providers' needs
- Develop and strengthen analytical, communication and leadership skills
- Demonstrate a commitment toward life-long learning, education of patients and other health care providers
- Serve as a resource to the community
Aurora St. Luke's Medical Center Outpatient Pharmacy
- Outpatient pharmacy within Aurora St. Luke's Medical Center, Wisconsin's largest private hospital, on the south side of Milwaukee
- Offers immunization services, osteoporosis screenings, comprehensive medication reviews and a solid organ transplant education program
- Serves the community, as well as caregivers, patients being discharged from the hospital, and clinic patients
- Has strong relationships with other hospital departments and clinics
- Wisconsin's largest private hospital, Aurora St. Luke's Medical Center is a premiere destination for world-class patient care, having treated patients from all 50 states and 13 countries. It is internationally known for its expertise in heart care and oncology. Located on the south side of Milwaukee, Aurora St. Luke's also offers exceptional specialty care in areas such as critical care, abdominal/cardiothoracic transplant and neurosciences. It is the home of the Vince Lombardi Cancer Clinic.
- Aurora St. Luke's was ranked No. 1 hospital in the 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 Best Hospitals ranking by U.S. News & World Report for the metro Milwaukee area. It was also ranked nationally for cardiology, gastroenterology, neurology and pulmonology specialties.
Aurora Sinai Medical Center
- A teaching hospital located in downtown Milwaukee, Aurora Sinai Medical Center offers unique pharmaceutical-care experiences, including neonatal/perinatal care, geriatrics, Parkinson disease, internal medicine and intensive care.
- Aurora Sinai was ranked No. 3 hospital in the 2013-2014 Best Hospitals ranking by U.S. News & World Report for the metro Milwaukee area and nationally ranked for geriatrics.
Specific Rotation Areas
- Orientation: Computer systems, drug distribution, personnel, policies, workflow and department structure
- Clinical services: Osteoporosis screenings, immunizations, solid organ transplant education, medication therapy management
- Practice management: Budgeting, personnel management, financial management, managed care, development and implementation of new services and hospice services
- Offers smoking cessation consultations
- Primary care clinic site: Interacting with patients and other health care professionals one day per week in a family medicine clinic
- Professional development: Year-long residency project, rotation projects, in-services, staffing, visits to other institutions, professional organizations, teaching and precepting, ACPE continuing education presentations, interviewing/recruiting and more
- Electives: Opportunity to participate in other pharmacist-managed clinics, such as an anticoagulation clinic
Dareen Bleibel, PharmD
Senior Vice President, Pharmacy Services
Tom Woller, MS, FASHP