PGY1 Pharmacy Residency – Aurora West Allis Medical CenterWest Allis, WI
The PGY1 Pharmacy Residency is structured to provide a broad base of skills, knowledge and experience to the entry-level practitioner. Candidates interested in careers as clinical pharmacists in the acute care setting are encouraged to apply.
Residents will be based at Aurora West Allis Medical Center
Aurora West Allis Medical Center is a community hospital providing a full range of inpatient and outpatient services to patients in the Milwaukee area and surrounding communities. In addition to geriatrics, critical care and other specialty services, Aurora West Allis is home to the Aurora Women's Pavilion, which provides comprehensive women's health services, including maternal and fetal medicine and a level III neonatal intensive care unit. Aurora West Allis Medical Center was ranked No. 2 best hospital in the 2013-2014 Best Hospital ranking by U.S. News & World Report for the metro Milwaukee area.
Specific Learning Experiences
Residents complete core learning experiences in drug policy, administration, adult medicine and continuity of care, and customize their residency by choosing elective experiences based on individual needs and interests.
- Orientation: Computer systems, drug distribution, personnel, policies, workflow and department structure
- Drug use policy: Medication use evaluation, Pharmacy & Therapeutic Committee, drug information, development of clinical policies and procedures, drug policy, medication safety and investigational drug protocols
- Practice management/administration: Budgeting, personnel management, financial management, managed care, development and implementation of new services
- Patient care: Work with health care providers and patients in a range of settings, including general/geriatrics, women's health, critical care, infectious diseases and neonatal intensive care
- Professional development: Year-long residency project, rotation projects, in-services, staffing, visits to other institutions, professional organizations, teaching and precepting, ACPE continuing education presentations, interviewing/recruiting, medication safety experiences, preparations for The Joint Commission and more
Specialty Pharmacy Coordinator
PGY1 Residency Director
Jennifer Halsey, MS, PharmD, CGP, BCPS
Aurora West Allis Medical Center
8901 W. Lincoln Avenue
West Allis, WI 53227