Aurora St. Luke's Medical Center School of Diagnostic Medical Sonography
About Sonography | Personal requirements | Forms | Eligibility/prerequisites | Enrollment process | Curriculum | Tuition and fees | Policies | Shadow experiences | Contact us | About Aurora St. Luke’s
- Physical abilities
- Lift more than 50 lbs routinely
- Push and pull over 100 lbs
- Bend and stoop routinely
- Kneel or squat routinely
- Have full use of both hands and wrists
- Able to assist the patient on and off the examining tables.
- Visual acuity to assess image quality and to observe physical
changes in the patient's condition, during routine sonographic
- Ability to discern color distinctions on the sonographic image
- Speech and hearing to give instructions to and receive communication from patients as well as distinguish audible Doppler signals while performing the sonographic examination.
- Manual dexterity to adjust machine controls, attach and adjust supportive devices and assist patients into position for the sonographic procedure.
Mental and emotional characteristics
- Must be able to work under stress and maintain self-control.
- Must have both patience and tact in dealing with others.
- Must be able to organize and plan work in a logical sequence.
- Must be able to use sound judgment in making decisions.
- Must be able to adapt to new situations.
- Demonstrate problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Neat in appearance
- Willing to accept responsibility
- Positive attitude
- Accountability (including attendance)
- Desire to help others
- Empathy for patients
- Able to follow instructions
- Service oriented
Applicants selected for admission are required to undergo pre-placement drug screening and physical assessment as well as a criminal background check. The cost of said tests are the responsibility of the sponsoring institution.