Aurora Grafton Cancer Care Newsletter

Read Our Latest Newsletter

Aurora Medical Center in Grafton Hits Milestones

Click to select next video in the series

Videos 1 - 5: The Aurora Medical Center in Grafton recently achieved two significant milestones reflecting the great care being offered to communities around the hospital. With 250+ robotic surgeries and its 100th open heart surgery, the pairing of Aurora Health Care and Aurora Advanced Healthcare has provided a care experience unlike any other in the area and it keeps improving. In this video series, you’ll meet caregivers who have been instrumental in achieving these milestones plus you’ll learn more about other services the hospital is becoming well known for.

Patients are utilizing the services at the new Aurora Medical Center in Grafton at an amazing pace. The facility, which has not yet turned two years old, has already performed more than 250 robotically assisted surgeries and recently, performed its 150th open heart surgery.

"It's an amazing accomplishment," says Len Wilk, president of the Aurora Medical Center in Grafton. "We've been very fortunate that the community has welcomed this hospital with open arms. It's wonderful to help so many people."

The news keeps getting better as the campus recently opened an Aurora Cancer Care clinic, just a short walk north of the hospital.

Robotic Center of Excellence

Dr. Alex Zacharias, an Aurora Advanced Healthcare urologist, says surpassing 250 robotic surgeries in such a short time is the combination of having surgeons interested in performing minimally invasive surgeries using the robot and patients who are interested and open to these options. "The patients end up very satisfied with our robotic surgeries as they can get back to their lives much more quickly with less pain and subsequently less medications," says Dr. Zacharias.

Approximately 60% of the robotic surgeries are benign and malignant urology cases (prostate, kidney, bladder, and ureter). The other roughly 40% consists mainly of gynecologic oncologic cases. The surgeons at Grafton are performing robotic hysterectomies and colorectal surgeries as well.

Aurora Medical Center - GraftonCardiac Care on the Rise

The Aurora Medical Center in Grafton is also quickly becoming a major cardiac surgery center. The hospital performed its 150th open heart surgery.

However, Aurora Medical Group thoracic and cardiovascular surgeon, Frances Downey, MD, is quick to point out that while the number of surgeries is encouraging, it's all about what this means for patients' integrated cardiac care in the surrounding communities and to remember just how many caregivers it takes to perform major procedures like open heart surgeries. "It takes a village to do a heart surgery."

Dr. Downey also cites Aurora's institutional commitment as a big factor in the rapid cardiac success at Grafton.

Even More to Offer

With just its second birthday coming up in November, Wilk is clearly proud of the patient experience the caregivers at Aurora Medical Center Grafton have offered the surrounding communities. In addition to the robotic and cardiac surgery milestones, Wilk also takes care to mention the Aurora Advanced Healthcare orthopaedic program which employs more than 30 highly specialized orthopaedic surgeons who work closely with an on-site physical rehabilitation department. He also notes hospital's neonatal intensive care unit - a great peace of mind for new and expectant moms and dads, as well as the Aurora Cancer Care center which opened at the end of March. In addition, the medical center has a fully-staffed and highly experienced emergency department.

"In July, we'll also be offering hyperbaric wound care, so to continue adding services that are well received in the community is extremely satisfying," added Wilk.