Non-Surgical Treatments for Back Pain
Just because you have back pain doesn’t mean you need back surgery. In fact, we work hard to heal, so that surgery is your last option. Aurora Health Care offers a variety of non-surgical treatments to treat your back and spine injuries and relieve your pain.
Physiatrists are doctors trained in physical medicine and rehabilitation. They are nerve, bone and muscle experts who treat problems that affect how you move.
The goal of spine physiatry is to help you get rid of pain and to restore mobility and function – without using surgery.
Combined with medically supervised exercises, some of our techniques include:
- Interventional Spinal Injections - Using a fluoroscopy (X-ray guidance), your physiatrist will inject your spine with steroid medication and anesthetic into the joint or area surrounding your spinal nerves. These injections provide pain relief.
- Epidural Steroid Injection - This is a common treatment for people with low back pain or leg pain problems. An epidural steroid injection puts steroid medicine directly into the epidural space in the spine. The goal of this procedure is to relieve pain.
- EMG/NCS (electromyography and nerve conduction studies) - These studies will show your physiatrist if you have any nerve or muscle disorders.
Integrative Medicine Treatments
Our Integratrive Medicine physicians can guide you to these and other non-invasive treatments to heal your back and spine – no surgery needed!
- Chiropractic - Restores normal joint motion and promotes proper function between your joints and nervous system.
- Massage therapy - Offers healing by easing muscle spasms and tension, improving circulation and decreasing swelling and impaired joint mobility.
- Acupuncture - Inserting hair-thin needles into specific points in the body helps restore the body’s energy levels. Experience firsthand how this centuries-old, evidence-based therapy brings healing to aching backs.
- Craniosacral therapy – This gentle, non-invasive touch method enhances functioning of the membranes and fluid that surround the brain and spinal cord.
Curious to learn more about ways to experience back pain relief without surgery? Make an appointment today. Our physicians will help you find a treatment that is right for you.