Aurora Psychiatric Hospital Substance Abuse Services Dewey Center
To express an interest in volunteering, complete the Volunteer Substance Abuse Services Personal Interest Information form and mail to the address on the form.
Volunteer opportunities include:
- AA/NA/CA orientation - lead 12-Step orientation Groups (meet with groups of patients to explain how 12-Step programs work, answer questions and discuss patients' concerns)
- Serve as a temporary sponsor and/or mentor
- Speaking - talk one on one with patients reluctant to give meetings a try, help patients transition to 12-step meetings in the community
- Job/work mentoring- willing to help Dewey patients in their job hunting, writing a resume, prepping for an interview and handling tough questions? Do you know of recovery-friendly employers?
Help greet families, participate in the discussion, share your experiences supporting a loved one new to recovery. Work with staff to improve these offerings so we provide families with information they really need.
- Saturday Morning Family Education Program
Recreational / Leisure Activities:
- Share a hobby, craft and/or activity
- Alumni gatherings
- Nature walks
- Greeting, visiting & welcoming patients
- Delivering mail
- Data gathering & entry
- Assisting with generating newsletters
Dewey Center Advisory Panel – help the Dewey treatment team improve patient care and solve ongoing problems by lending your insights and perceptive as a former patient and being part of our Patient Advisory