Developing a worksite wellness program
Want to help your employees and your bottom line at the same time? Develop a worksite wellness program that includes physical activity and exercise.. and, if you're the boss, don't forget to sign up and participate.
When setting up a wellness program, you need to determine:
- What are you trying to achieve, do you have specific goals? How will you determine success? What measures will you use to evaluate the program?
- Percent of employee participation
- Reduction in specific healthcare costs
- Reduction in absenteeism
- Increases in productivity
- What is your baseline or benchmark? (i.e., current health status of employees)
- What is your timetable?
- What resources are available? (i.e., outsource the program development, dollars for incentives, contracting fitness instructors, etc.)
- Who should be the architects of the program? Who should implement and track it? Be sure to include all staffing levels in your program development.
- How will the program be promoted to the staff?
- How will you keep it from becoming "boring" and just another flyer on the bulletin board?