Colorectal Cancer Treatments
The best treatment of colorectal cancer requires a multidisciplinary team approach. As an Aurora colorectal cancer patient, you benefit from multidisciplinary case reviews, which can include specialists from various disciplines.
- Gastroenterologists: a physician specializing in diseases of the gastrointestinal tract
- Cancer Nurse Navigators: registered nurses with special training who can help answer your questions and provide information on resources and support services
- Medical oncologist: a physician specializing in treating cancer with chemotherapy, hormonal therapy or immunotherapy
- Pathologist: a physician who examines tissues and cells under a microscope to determine if they are normal or abnormal
- Radiation oncologist: a physician specializing in treating cancer with radiation therapy.
- Radiologist: a physician who uses X-rays and other imaging tests to diagnose disease.
- Colorectal surgeon: a physician who specializes in the medical and surgical treatment of conditions that affect the colon, rectum and anus.
Our team of experts will customize your colorectal cancer treatment plans and may include cancer surgery, radiation therapy and/or chemotherapy.
There are four main types of treatment for colorectal cancer. These include:
- Radiation therapy
- Cancer Immunotherapy
Depending on the stage of your cancer, one or several of these treatment types may be used.