Lung Cancer Detection and Diagnosis
Cancers that begin in the lungs are divided into two major types, non-small cell lung cancer and small cell lung cancer, depending on how the cells look under the microscope. Each type of lung cancer grows and spreads in different ways and is treated differently.
Lung Cancer Screening Program
At Aurora Health Care, we follow the recommendation of the National Lung Screening Trial (NLST) and use low-dose, non-contrast chest computed tomography (CT) to detect lung cancer – even when no symptoms, clinical signs or history of the disease exist.
Who should get screened?
Nationally established guidelines recommend screening for individuals who are:
- Age 55 to 74 and have smoked one pack a day for 30 years (or the equivalent)
If you use tobacco, quitting is the best thing you can do. We offer tabcco cessation classes, programs, cousenling and education to help you kick your habit, once and for all.
How do I get screened?
- Simply call the Aurora Health Care Screening’s program at 888-649-6892 from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, to schedule an appointment.
- You do not need a physician’s order to be screened.
- At the time of your appointment, you will be asked to pay $99 to cover the cost of your scan. Please note that insurance may not cover the cost of the screening.
What happens during screening?
- Your lung cancer screening involves a low-dose, non-contrast chest computed tomography (CT) scan. It does not cause any pain.
- You will lie very still on a table while the table passes through the center of a large X-ray machine (or the X-ray machine passes over the table).
- You may hear a whirring sound during the procedure.
- You may be asked to hold your breath to prevent blurring of the images.
- The procedure usually lasts only a few minutes to a half hour.
When will I get my results?
After your scan, you will receive a letter in the mail within seven days with your results. This letter will include the scan findings, as well as follow-up recommendations from one of our cancer care specialists.
Benefits of Screening:
- Promotes early detection of lung cancer
- Improve chances for survival
- Encourages better risk-factor management
If you have any questions or concerns or would like to schedule your screening, please call us at 888-649-6892.