Learn More About Breast Lift Procedures at Aurora Health Care
What is a Breast Lift?
Breast lift surgery, also called mastopexy, is a procedure that raises and firms the breasts. During a breast lift procedure, surgeons remove excess skin and tighten the surrounding breast tissue to reshape the breasts and support their new contour.
Some women’s areolas become enlarged over time, and a breast lift can involve reducing the size or changing the shape of the areolas as well.
Why Consider a Breast Lift?
Women’s breasts tend to change over time, and some women are bothered by the loss of firmness or change in shape. The changes can result from pregnancy, breastfeeding, losing or gaining weight, aging, heredity, or even gravity. There are a number of reasons women consider breast lift surgery. The most common reason is that they are unhappy with the shape, volume or height of their breasts. However, women also have breast lift surgery for other reasons. You may want to consider a breast lift if:
- You believe your breasts sag or have lost their shape
- Your breasts seem flat, elongated or pendulous
- Your nipples fall below the crease in your breast when they are unsupported
- Your nipples and areolas point downward
- You have enlarged areolas or noticeably stretched skin
- Your breast height is not equal
General Overview of Procedure
How is a breast lift performed?
There are a number of ways to perform a breast lift surgery, and your cosmetic surgeon will determine your procedure based upon a number of factors, including the:
- Size and shape of your breasts
- Degree of breast sagging
- Position and size of your areolas
- Overall elasticity and quality of your skin
- Volume of excess skin on your breasts
During your consultation and pre-surgery appointments, you and your surgeon will discuss your options and the best procedures for your breast lift. Regardless of which procedures your surgeon chooses, he or she will perform the following basic steps:
- Giving you general anesthesia or IV sedation (this will be done by an anesthesiologist)
- Making incisions on your breasts
Reshaping your breasts, which involves:
- Lifting and reshaping the underlying breast tissue to improve the contour and firmness of your breasts
- Repositioning the nipples and areolas to a natural, more youthful height
- Reducing enlarged areolas by removing skin along the edges of the areolas (this is only performed if necessary)
- Removing excess breast skin
- Closing the incisions
When possible, your surgeon will hide incisions in the natural crease of the breasts. In some cases, that is not possible, and you will have incision marks on the surface of your breasts. Although the marks will not go away, they will fade and become less noticeable with time. If you are concerned about scars or incision marks after breast lift surgery, talk with your surgeon before the procedure.
Why should I choose Aurora Health Care for a breast lift?
At Aurora Health Care, you’re not just another patient. Your health is our first priority, and we want what’s best for you – even if that means you choose not to have breast lift surgery.
When you choose Aurora for cosmetic surgery, you’re choosing more than just a surgeon. You’re choosing an entire health care system that offers you much more than surgery. We offer a multidisciplinary team of doctors who work together to provide you with care that stands above the competition.
- Every procedure is performed by a surgeon
Every person who performs cosmetic surgeries at Aurora is a surgeon who specializes in cosmetic surgery. That’s not always the case at cosmetic surgery centers.
You also can count on Aurora’s breast lift surgeons, because:
- We’re experienced experts
Cosmetic plastic surgeons at Aurora have years of experience. We understand what an important decision you have in front of you, and we will work with you to make the decisions that are best for you. Once you’ve decided to go ahead with breast lift surgery, you can feel confident knowing that an entire team of physicians throughout the hospital is in your corner to ensure you get the best care possible. And, our staff will be with you every step of the way to help and support you through the process.
- Success and safety are our goals
At Aurora Health Care, your safety is our first priority. We go to great lengths to make sure that every procedure we perform is both safe and successful.
Is this procedure covered by insurance?
Most cosmetic plastic surgery procedures are considered elective procedures, and thus are not often covered by insurance. However, there are some exceptions. If you have questions about whether your breast lift would be covered by insurance, contact your insurance company directly.
Learn more about our board-certified cosmetic plastic surgeons or schedule a consultation.