Learn More About Hair Loss Treatments at Aurora
What is Hair Loss?
Commonly called balding, hair loss is a condition characterized by losing more than the normal amount of hair. There are many causes of hair loss, including:
- Hormonal changes
- Medical treatments, such as chemotherapy
- Ringworm on the scalp
- An excess or deficiency of vitamins or minerals
- Burns or trauma
- Rapid weight loss
How is Hair Loss Treated?
Some types of hair loss treatment involve treating the condition that caused the hair loss. For example, if ringworm of the scalp caused hair loss, treating the ringworm may allow the hair to regrow. The same may be true for treating excess or deficiency of essential vitamins or minerals. People who lose their hair during chemotherapy treatment usually will re-grow hair after the treatment is complete.
However, some causes of hair loss are permanent unless the hair loss itself is treated. Hair lost through aging or heredity (male pattern baldness) often can be treated surgically or with medication. At Aurora Health Care, our dermatologists offer both medical and surgical options to restore hair and treat hair loss.
Surgical Treatment Options
There are a number of surgical procedures used to treat hair loss. Different procedures are used for different types of hair loss. If your dermatologist recommends a hair loss procedure, he or she will decide upon the right surgery for you based on his or her expertise and experience treating hair loss, the extent and location of your hair loss, and your general health.
Surgical procedures for hair loss include:
- Hair transplantation
- Scalp reduction
- Tissue expansion
- Flap surgery
Medical Treatment Options
There are currently two major medications approved for the treatment of hair loss. They are finasteride (Propecia) and minoxidil (Rogaine). Finasteride is a treatment for male pattern baldness, and it can be purchased only with a prescription from your doctor. Minoxidil is a topical solution that is applied to the areas where hair loss has occurred. For hair loss in women, lower strength minoxidil can be used. It is available over the counter.
Before beginning any treatment for hair loss, please consult your dermatologist to make sure you are a good candidate for treatment.
Why Should I Choose Aurora Health Care to Treat my Hair Loss?
When it comes to caring for your skin, you want the best. And at Aurora, we’re dedicated to providing the best, most advanced skin care treatments available.
Because Aurora dermatologists work within the entire Aurora Health Care system, we can offer you so much more than simple dermatology care. At Aurora, you’ll get:
- Expertise: A team of physicians, nurse practitioners and physician assistants care for you.
- Innovation: You can expect innovative treatments using the latest advancements in technology.
- Network of physicians: Being part of the Aurora network gives you access to specialized care for all of your health care needs.
- Attention to you: At Aurora, you’re never just another patient. You’re an important part of your health care team. No matter which procedure or treatment is right for you, your doctor will take time to discuss options with you and answer your questions before your treatment begins, giving you peace of mind.
How do I Schedule a Consultation with a Dermatologist?
To schedule a consultation or appointment with a dermatologist at Aurora, call one of the dermatology offices directly. View the list of Aurora dermatologists.