Learn More About Psoriasis Treatments at Aurora
What is Psoriasis?
Psoriasis is an autoimmune disease that causes chronically inflamed, raised areas of skin. As the condition develops, it often appears as silvery scales on the skin. The most common places people have psoriasis are on the scalp, elbows, knees and lower back, but it can appear on other locations as well.
There are many types/forms of psoriasis. Some are discoid psoriasis (plaque psoriasis), guttate psoriasis and pustular psoriasis. Discoid or plaque psoriasis is the most common type. It also can lead to nail problems, including a condition called psoriatic arthritis.
How is Psoriasis Treated?
Usually, psoriasis cannot be cured, but it can be controlled with proper treatment. Treatments for psoriasis vary based upon the type and severity of your condition. Aurora Health Care dermatologists will consider many factors to prescribe treatments that are best for you. Some treatment options are:
Creams and topical medications
- Creams and ointments to moisturize your skin
- Steroids (usually topical steroid creams, such as cortisone creams)
- Vitamin D cream
- Salicylic acid creams
- Topical retinoids
- Anthralin cream, which includes a drug that treats thicker, difficult to treat patches of psoriasis
- Methotrexate, a drug that interrupts the growth of skin cells (often used to treat cancer)
- Oral retinoids
- Immunosuppressive medications
- Biologic (such as Enbrel)
- Light therapy
The first step to treating your psoriasis is to make an appointment with a dermatologist. Dermatologists at Aurora Health Care can help you understand your disease and what can be done to treat it. If you have questions about your psoriasis, contact an Aurora dermatologist to set up a consultation.
Why Should I Coose Aurora Health Care for Psoriasis Treatment?
When it comes to caring for your skin, you want the best. And, at Aurora, we are dedicated to providing the best, most advanced skin care treatments available – including treatment for psoriasis.
Because Aurora dermatologists work within the entire Aurora Health Care system, we can offer you so much more than simple dermatology care. At Aurora, you’ll get:
- Expertise: A team of physicians, nurse practitioners and physician assistants care for you.
- Innovation: You can expect innovative treatments using the latest advancements in technology.
- Network of physicians: Being part of the Aurora network gives you access to specialized care for all of your health care needs.
- Attention to you: At Aurora, you’re never just another patient. You’re an important part of your health care team. No matter which procedure or treatment you choose, your doctor will take time to discuss options with you and answer your questions before your treatment begins, giving you peace of mind.
How do I Schedule a Consultation with a Dermatologist?
To schedule a consultation or appointment with a dermatologist at Aurora, call one of the dermatology offices directly. View the list of Aurora dermatologists.