Learn About Treatments for Rosacea
What is Rosacea?
Rosacea is a common, chronic skin condition that can cause redness and rash. It usually affects the middle of the face – across the nose, cheeks, eyes and forehead – but it can cause redness on other areas of the face as well. Rosacea can appear as general redness, pimples, and/or broken blood vessels. About half of the people who have rosacea also experience eye symptoms, including redness, burning, tearing, inflammation or the sensation of something being in the eye.
There are four categories of rosacea, each with different signs and symptoms:
- Prerosacea, which causes frequent episodes of facial and neck flushing
- Vascular rosacea, which causes the blood vessels under the skin to swell, making the skin warm and swollen
- Inflammatory rosacea, which leads to enlarged facial blood vessels and pimples
- Rhinophyma, which causes the nose to be bulbous due to enlarged oil glands in the nose and cheeks
Rosacea usually begins between the ages of 30 and 60, and it is more commonly seen in people with fair skin.
Because rosacea may resemble other skin conditions, including acne, it’s important to have any facial redness or rash examined by a doctor who can give you a proper diagnosis and prescribe the best treatment for you.
How is Rosacea Treated?
If you have or think you might have rosacea, it’s important to be treated by a dermatologist rather than trying to self-treat, because some home remedies can actually make the rosacea worse.
Dermatologists at Aurora Health Care prescribe treatments depending on a variety of factors, including the location, type and severity of your rosacea. Treatment options may include topical creams, oral medications or laser treatments. Your dermatologist also may suggest that you modify your diet and avoid foods that can dilate the blood vessels in your skin. Some things you may want to avoid are caffeine, spicy foods and alcohol.
If you have a rash you’d like to have evaluated, contact an Aurora dermatologist. He or she can help you understand what caused your rash and what you can do to treat it.
Why Should I Choose Aurora Health Care for Rosacea Treatment?
When it comes to caring for your skin, you want the best. And, at Aurora, we’re dedicated to providing the best, most advanced skin care treatments available.
Because Aurora dermatologists work within the entire Aurora Health Care system, we can offer you so much more than simple dermatology care. At Aurora, you’ll get:
- Expertise: A team of physicians, nurse practitioners and physician assistants care for you.
- Innovation: You can expect innovative treatments using the latest advancements in technology.
- Network of physicians: Being part of the Aurora network gives you access to specialized care for all of your needs.
- Attention to you: At Aurora, you’re never just another patient. You’re an important part of your health care team. No matter which procedure or treatment you choose, your doctor will take time to discuss options with you and answer your questions before your treatment begins, giving you peace of mind.
How do I Schedule a Consultation with a Dermatologist?
To schedule a consultation or appointment with a dermatologist at Aurora, call one of the dermatology offices directly. View the list of Aurora dermatologists.