Otology: Middle Ear
Learn More About Treatment For Disorders of the Middle Ear
Ear, nose and throat specialists (ENTs) at Aurora Health Care treat many disorders of the middle ear. Some of the conditions they treat are:
- Cholesteatoma growth
- Fluid build-up in the ear
- Glomus tumors (paragangliomas)
- Infections that have spread from the middle ear to the mastoid cavity
- Ruptured or perforated eardrum
ENTs offer many treatments for disorders of the middle ear – some medical and some surgical. Some treatments Aurora Health Care ENTs offer are:
- Glomus tumor resection – Glomus tumor resection involves removing paragangliomas (glomus tumors). Depending on the size and location of the tumor, the surgery can range from simple to complex.
- Mastoidectomy – A mastoidectomy is a surgical procedure to remove infection from the mastoid (the bony portion of the ear).
- Myringotomy and tube placement – A myringotomy is a surgical procedure to relieve pressure or drain fluid or pus from behind the eardrum. When myringotomy is done for a person with chronic ear infections, tubes may be placed in the ears to allow for ventilation and drainage of the middle ear space to help prevent future ear infections.
- Ossicular chain reconstruction (OCR) – Ossicular chain reconstruction, also called ossiculoplasty, is a surgery performed to reshape or replace one or more bones in the middle ear (the ossicles) to improve hearing.
- Stapedectomy – A stapedotomy is a surgical procedure to improve hearing loss due to a middle ear condition called stapes fixation.
- Tympanoplasty – Tympanoplasty is surgical repair of the tympanic membrane (eardrum) and/or the bones of the middle ear.
Why Come to Aurora Health Care?
When it comes to caring for your health, you want the best. And at Aurora, our ear, nose and throat specialists in Wisconsin and northern Illinois are dedicated to providing the best, most advanced treatments available today.
At Aurora, you’re an important part of your health care team, and you can expect outstanding care.
- We have experts to meet all of your needs – Every ENT at Aurora is a board-certified otolaryngologist (ENT), and many have additional certifications and specializations. So no matter which condition you have, Aurora has a doctor to treat it.
- We’re dedicated to patient care – At Aurora, every team member, from customer service representatives to techs to nurses to doctors, shares the goal of providing outstanding care in a patient-focused, compassionate environment.
- We offer innovative treatment options – You can expect innovative treatments using the latest advancements in technology, including leading-edge microsurgeries that can improve outcomes and quality of life.
- You can get immediate access to referrals – Aurora Health Care offers hundreds of specialists under one roof, as part of one integrated health care team. If your ear, nose and throat doctor thinks you should see another specialist, he or she can make a referral and get you an appointment right away.
- All Aurora doctors are connected – Because Aurora is a large health care system, there are doctors across the state of Wisconsin to serve you. And, if you are seen in Green Bay and later in Milwaukee, your medical records will be available to each and every health professional within our integrated health care system.
How Do I Schedule a Consultation With an Ear, Nose and Throat Specialist?
To schedule a consultation or appointment with an ear, nose and throat specialist at Aurora, call one of the ENT offices directly. View the list of Aurora ENTs.