Wisconsin's Leader in Stroke Education
F = Face (Ask a person to smile. Does one side of the face sag or droop?)
A = Arms (Ask a person to raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward?)
S = Speech (Ask the person to repeat a single sentence. Does the speech sound slurred or strange?
T = Time (If you observe any of the above signs, call 911 or get to the nearest primary stroke center or hospital
The Crucial Timing of Stroke
- Every 45 seconds someone in America has a stroke
- In one second 32,000 brain cells die
- In one minute 2 million brain cells die
- Nearly 700,000 Americans will have a new or recurrent stroke this year and over 163,000 of them will die (making it the third leading cause of death in the USA)
- Every year there are approximately 266,000 stroke survivors with permanent disabilities leading to approximately 30,000 new permanent admissions to nursing homes
Find a neurological care doctor or call 888-863-5502.