Female Urology in Wisconsin
What is Urogynecology?
Urogynecology is a medical specialty focused on female urology, or female pelvic conditions. Some of the conditions Aurora’s urogynecology specialists treat are bladder prolapse, urge incontinence, infertility, pelvic organ prolapse and stress incontinence.
- Bladder prolapse (cystocele) – Bladder prolapse, also known as cystocele, occurs when the supportive tissue of the pelvic floor weakens and stretches to the point that the bladder bulges into the vagina. If bladder prolapse is mild to moderate, surgery might not be necessary. But for severe cases of prolapsed bladder, surgery is required to help keep the vagina and other pelvic organs in place.
- Incontinence or overactive bladder – Urinary incontinence is the inability to hold urine. When people suffer from this type of incontinence, urine may leak out involuntarily. An overactive bladder is characterized by urinary urgency (the sudden need to go) or frequency (the need to go more often than usual). Frequently, people with an overactive bladder will also experience urinary incontinence. One treatment available at Aurora is InterStim therapy, which is a neuromodulation therapy that targets communication issues between the brain and the nerves that control the bladder.
- Infertility – Infertility is the inability to conceive a child after a year of trying without contraception. Both men and women can be infertile, and sometimes infertility is due to issues with both partners. Urologists at Aurora work with women who are experiencing infertility in an attempt to pinpoint the cause of the infertility and to find a way for the couple to have a child.
- Pelvic organ prolapse – Pelvic organ prolapse occurs when the muscles and supportive tissues of the pelvic floor weaken and one or more of the pelvic organs slips out of place. There are different types of pelvic organ prolapse, including anterior (cystocele), posterior (rectocele), small bowel (enterocele) and uterine prolapse. Treatment options will depend on your symptoms and the type and severity of your prolapse, among other things.
- Stress incontinence – Stress incontinence is the type of incontinence that occurs when coughing, sneezing, laughing or even standing up. If a sneeze or cough causes urine to leak, you may have stress incontinence. It’s the most common type of incontinence in women, and it is more likely to occur in women who have given birth naturally. Treatment will vary depending on many factors, including your age, your overall health and the severity and frequency of your symptoms. Urologists at Aurora offer many treatment options, including sling procedures and injection procedures.
Treatments for female urologic conditions are as unique as each patient. Treatments vary from condition to condition and from woman to woman. There are some common categories for treatment options, including:
- Physical therapy to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles
- InterStim therapy
- Pelvic reconstruction surgery
- Behavioral modification therapy
- Diet changes
- Nerve stimulation
- Sling procedures
How Do I Schedule a Consultation With a Urology Specialist?
To schedule a consultation or appointment with a urology specialist at Aurora, call one of the urology offices directly. View the list of Aurora urologists.