Diabetes In Pregnancy
Aurora Maternal Metabolic Center
For women with diabetes in pregnancy, thyroid disease, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) or other endocrine issues, the Aurora Maternal Metabolic Center offers experienced, specialized case before, during and after pregnancy.
Controlling blood sugar is important to the health of both mother and baby. Glucose in the mother’s blood passes through the placenta to provide energy for her baby. High blood sugar levels in the mother also lead to high blood sugar in the developing baby and can cause:
- Birth defects
- Increased birth weight
- Increased risk of complications during delivery
Most women with diabetes have a safe pregnancy and delivery. Complications occur less frequently when blood sugar levels are carefully monitored and controlled.
The multidisciplinary team of specialists at Aurora Maternal Metabolic Center includes:
- A board-certified endocrinology physician with advanced training in reproductive medicine
- Board-certified maternal fetal medicine physicians with expertise in medically-complicated obstetrics and prenatal screening.
- Diabetes education
- Exercise and wellness education
- Nutritional counseling
- Support services
Conditions We Treat
Aurora Health Care offers expert care to help women manage diabetes in pregnancy and other metabolic and hormonal issues that are complicated by pregnancy including:
- Diabetes mellitus: type 1, type 2 and gestational
- Maternal obesity
- Metabolic syndrome
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Previous history of gestational diabetes
- Thyroid disease
For comprehensive care from prenatal planning and a closely monitored pregnancy to a safe delivery and follow-up care, the Aurora Maternal Metabolic Center at Aurora Women's Pavilion helps nurture healthy pregnancies and optimize the health and safety of mom and baby.
Please call 414-855-2912 for information about either of our locations: