Prenatal Care and Childbirth
Midwife means “with woman,” not only with pregnant women. A midwife makes you a partner in your own health.
The certified nurse-midwives (CNMs) in the Aurora system provide high-quality, personalized care, before, during and after childbirth. All are registered nurses with nurse midwife certification who have completed a master’s degree or higher.
At one of our hospitals, Aurora Sinai Medical Center, nurse midwives deliver 40 percent of all births at the facility, surpassing the national average of 10 percent.
- Provide expert prenatal care, labor support and delivery
- Prepare an expectant mother for childbirth by working with her to create a birthing plan for a memorable experience
- Provide a full range of pain-management options from whirlpool to epidural
- Offer personal care designed to promote your wellness
- Are all registered nurses with nurse midwife certification who have completed a master's degree or higher
- Bring together traditional medical resources with alternative approaches
- Integrate the best of modern medicine with a renewed focus on the individual
- Offer breastfeeding support and education
Midwives collaborate with physicians, when necessary, and will refer patients at high risk to an obstetrician when it is important for the mother's or baby's well-being.
Health and Well-being Enhancement for Any Age
Aurora’s midwife services are also available to women at other stages of life. Many women see their midwife for their annual exams, contraceptive needs and other gynecologic needs.
Teens and young women:
- Sports physicals for the young women involved in organized sports programs
- A midwife is a positive and gentle way to introduce a young woman to women's health care
- Young women have unique health concerns, a midwife will work with you to meet your own unique needs
- Exploring options to help you make decisions that are right for you
- Taking a holistic approach to the health needs of today's woman
- Providing the opportunity to proactively address midlife issues
- Offering respect and appreciation for all lifestyle choices
- Creating a welcoming environment to discuss your personal health concerns
- Providing expertise on issues specific to alternative lifestyles
Why Choose to Work with a Midwife?
Starting a family is a very personal experience. Certified nurse-midwives are dedicated to helping you create a birth experience centered around what is important to you.
Nurse-midwives have been recognized for their contributions to reducing infant and maternal mortality, premature births and low birth weight rates. Their skills as primary care providers are evidenced by their low rates of infant mortality, cesarean birth, episiotomy, and use of epidural anesthesia and their high rates of success in vaginal birth after cesarean. These facts are made more impressive when considering that 70 percent of women who receive care from nurse-midwives are considered vulnerable to poor health outcomes by virtue of age, socioeconomic status, education, ethnicity or location of residence.
Find a Midwife
Our certified nurse-midwives practice at four Aurora Birthing Centers:
Milwaukee: Birthing Center
Oshkosh: Birthing Center
Walworth County: Women and Infant Care
West Allis: Birthing Center at the Women's Pavilion