• Main Page • Risk Factors • Symptoms • Diagnosis • Treatment • Screening • Reducing Your Risk • Talking to Your Doctor • Resource Guide
Conditions InDepth: Gallstones
Gallstones form when cholesterol or bile, which is stored in the gallbladder, hardens into pieces of stone-like material. Gallstones are made of about 75% cholesterol salts. The remaining 25% is made up of bilirubin salts, a bile pigment and calcium carbonate. Gallstones can be as small as a grain of sand or as large as a golf ball. The gallbladder can develop just one large stone, hundreds of tiny stones, or almost any combination.
Gallstones can block the normal flow of bile if they lodge in any of the ducts that carry bile from the liver to the small intestine. Bile trapped in these ducts can cause inflammation in the gallbladder, the ducts, or, rarely, the liver.
Gallstones can cause several related problems including:
Gallstones are a common medical problem. About 10% to 15% of the adult population of the United States has gallstones. However, about 80% of people who have gallstones have no symptoms. This condition is referred to as silent gallstones and usually does not require treatment.
• What are the risk factors for gallstones? • What are the symptoms of gallstones? • How are gallstones diagnosed? • What are the treatments for gallstones? • Are there screening tests for gallstones? • How can I reduce my risk of developing gallstones? • What questions should I ask my healthcare provider? • Where can I get more information about gallstones?
Adler DG, Baron TH, et al. ASGE guideline: the role of ERCP in diseases of the biliary tract and the pancreas. Gastrointest Endosc. 2005;62:1-8.
Ahmed A, Cheung RC, et al. Management of gallstones and their complications. Am Fam Physician. 2000;61:1673-1678.
Gallstones. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at:
Portincasa P, Moschetta A, et al. Cholesterol gallstone disease. Lancet. 2006;368:230-239.
Last reviewed December 2013 by Michael Woods, MD
EBSCO Information Services is fully accredited by URAC. URAC is an independent, nonprofit health care accrediting organization dedicated to promoting health care quality through accreditation, certification and commendation.
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
To send comments or feedback to our Editorial Team regarding the content please email us at email@example.com