Rapid stress management - 3 steps
- Stop the stress process as early as possible. Catch yourself as you notice your stress level rise.
- Stop any negative, stress inducing thoughts. You can practice thought stopping by saying "STOP" to yourself or, if appropriate, out loud.
- Take slow deep breaths that fill your lungs deeply.
- Try doing the 5-Second Breath exercise (contained in this toolkit).
- Direct your attention to positive useful activities. For example, concentrate on your work or if you are at home, focus on activities there. Projects, hobbies, supportive relationships, pets, cooking, cleaning & other household chores are all good choices.