Green smoothies are a great way to include more leafy green vegetables in your diet —and they are surprisingly delicious and filling. Use this for a breakfast-on-the-go or a refreshing, healthy snack between meals.
Recipe: Delicious Green Smoothie
Makes 4 servings
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
3/4 cup natural applesauce
1 large frozen banana, cut into chunks*
1 cup frozen green grapes*
2 cups fresh spinach or Swiss chard
3/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
*If using fresh fruit, add a few ice cubes
1. Pour orange juice into bottom of blender pitcher.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend at a high speed until thoroughly mixed (about 20 seconds).
3. Add a little water if not blending well.
Variations to the Recipe:
• Too “green” tasting? Use fewer greens and gradually increase the amount as you get used to the taste.
• Try different fruits and vegetables according to your liking and what’s in season. Cucumbers provide a light refreshing taste; mango, peaches, and avocado make smoothies very creamy.
• Replace the Greek yogurt with flavored yogurt, soymilk, almond milk, or rice milk. For more protein, add a scoop of protein powder.
• If more sweetness is desired, add a little honey or agave syrup.
Calories – 120
Carbohydrates – 25 gm
Protein – 5 gm
Cholesterol – Less than 5 mg
Fiber – 3 gm
Total fat – 1 gm
Saturated fat – 0 gm
Sodium – 25 mg