First time meeting your doctor? You’ll want to bring:
- Copies of your medical records. Include test results, lab reports and letters from doctors you’ve seen in the past.
- Your insurance information and a list of medications you’re taking. You can also bring the medicine bottles.
This will make it easier when you fill out your medical history form.
Write down questions and topics you want to discuss. For example:
- Symptoms, aches and pains. Note when they started, over-the-counter medications you’ve taken for them and how painful they are on a scale from 1 to 10.
- Changes to your daily routine or your lifestyle. If you changed your diet, what foods are you eating? If you started a new exercise routine, how often are you working out and for how long?
- Recent major life events. If you’ve switched jobs, divorced or gone through another significant change, note how it’s affected you physically and emotionally.
It’s also helpful to bring a pen and paper or your smartphone to take notes.