If you have a hiatal hernia, treatment may include:
Dietary and lifestyle recommendations:
- Eat smaller more frequent meals
- Avoid fatty foods, alcohol, chocolate, caffeine and peppermint
- Don't smoke
- Maintain normal weight
- Do not lie down after eating
- Do not eat for three to four hours before bedtime
- Elevate your head by six inches with a pillow wedge
Over-the-counter medicines, such as:
- Antacids. These will address symptoms but won't fix any damage stomach acid has caused in the esophagus.
- H-2 receptor blockers. This heartburn medication reduces the amount of acid the body makes. They can help relieve symptoms for longer periods of time.
- Proton-pump inhibitors. These block the acid the body makes, which allows the esophagus to heal.