More and more women are choosing to partner with a midwife during their pregnancy journey. Certified nurse-midwives (CNMs) and certified midwives (CMs) can provide care throughout a woman’s life, but during and after pregnancy, a midwife can provide:
- Expert prenatal, labor and delivery care
- Support as you prepare for childbirth and create a birthing plan
- A full range of pain-management options – from whirlpools to epidurals
- Personal care designed to promote your wellness
- Traditional medical resources with alternative approaches
- Breastfeeding support and education
The certified nurse-midwives (CNMs) at Aurora offer high-quality and personalized care – before, during and after childbirth. All are registered nurses with nurse midwife certification who have completed a master’s degree or higher.
Midwives collaborate with doctors when necessary, and if you’re at risk, they will refer you to an obstetrician. Our midwives are also available for annual exams, contraceptive solutions and other gynecologic needs
Why choose a midwife?
Nurse-midwives have been recognized for reducing rates of infant and maternal mortality, premature births and low birth weight rates. Their efforts contribute to lower rates of cesarean births, episiotomies and use of epidural anesthesia, and higher rates of success in vaginal birth after cesarean.
These trends are even more impressive when your consider that 70% of women who receive care from nurse-midwives are considered vulnerable to poor health outcomes because of age, socioeconomic status, education, ethnicity or location of residence.