At Aurora, we offer annual skin cancer checks, and we recommend that you also perform self-checks at least once a year. If you have any moles that concern you, like new moles or moles that have changed shape, size or color, see your dermatologist right away to have them evaluated. It’s also important to have yearly skin checks so your doctor can look for any suspicious spots or changes.
There are five things doctors look for when evaluating moles:
- Asymmetry: Does the mole look similar on both sides, or is it irregularly shaped?
- Border: Is the border of the mole well-defined and smooth, or is it jagged and irregular?
- Color: Is the mole one solid color, or does it have more than one color?
- Diameter: Is the mole larger than a standard pencil eraser?
- Evolving: Has the mole always looked like this, or has it changed?