First, your Aurora urologist will talk with you about your symptoms and perform a physical exam. He or she may also order additional tests.
After you’ve been diagnosed, your doctor will work with you on a treatment plan tailored to your needs.
Treatment options include:
- Anastomotic procedures: Your surgeon removes the narrowed section of your urethra and links the 2 normal ends.
- Free graft, skin flap and staged procedures: Your surgeon grafts tissue from another part of your body to widen the narrow section of your urethra.
- Dilation: Your surgeon gradually stretches your urethra, though this usually has to be repeated.
- Urethrotomy: Your surgeon uses a scope to cut your stricture with a laser or knife.
- Urethral stent: Your surgeon inserts a thin tube into your ureter to widen it.
- Surgery to reconstruct your urethra